adbrite

Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Interview With Actor Surya

Thanks to his successive hits, Surya has become a sought after star in Tamil film industry. In spite of his father Shiva Kumar, being a successful actor in Tamil once, success did not come quite easily for Surya. After almost half-a-decades wait, Surya reached the pinnacle thanks to director Bala''s Nandha in which he played an angry young man''s role. From then on, he did not look back. His successive hits in Kaakha Kaakha, Pithamagan and the recent Peralagan has taken him to new heights.

Be it a tough cop, a rustic youth or a unconventional handicap, Surya does it with charm and grace.

According to him ''success is not something I stepped across easily. I had to struggle for it. All my failures were the stepping-stones to my success. I pick my characters after a lot of thought and I observe a lot of things happening around me to give justice to my roles''.

His next release is director Manirathinam''s Ayudha Ezhuthu followed by director Goutham''s Chennaiyil Oru Mazhia Kalam followed by a movie with director Hari to be produced by director Charan.

In a chat, Surya shares his feelings on becoming a popular hero in Tamil film industry and his future commitments.

On the success of Khaaka Khaaka, Pithamagan and Peralagan?

Even after the success, I am more balanced and my feet is firm on the ground. People would be expecting a lot in my next film and I want to live up to their expectations.

On your role in Peralagan?

I had seen the original Malayalam version (Kunji Koonan) done by Dileep. I simply wanted to do better than him. Now, I am sure that the character of Chinna (an ugly looking rustic youth with a hunchback) is adored by one and all. Chinna was not the usual handicap with inferiority complex. In fact he was very optimistic, arrogant, tongue-in-cheek and above all loveable. All credit should go to the entire team involved in the making of Peralagan. Make-up man Bhuji Babu deserves special thanks.

About working in director Manirathinam's Ayudha Ezhuthu?

It's a rare feeling to act in Manirathinam's film. His knowledge is astounding. His screenplay and narration are amazing. I play a good role in his film, which would be much talked about in the days to come.

What's the secret of your success?

Patience. My success has not come easily. I had to struggle for it. All my failures were the stepping stones to my success. I pick my characters after a lot of thought and I observe a lot to give justice to my roles. I will never hurry my movies. Hard work and practice help us accomplish difficult things in life.

Your association with director Bala?

He holds a important place in my heart. He was ready to experiment with me in Nandha. This marked a turning point in my career. In Pithamagan, he gave me the role of a carefree rustic youth. I had been to interior areas and watched many youngsters, listened to their speeches, their modulations on audio cassettes to prepare for the role. I took sincere
attempts before the camera and the output on the screen was great. Bala was responsible for bringing the best out of me.

Comment on your roles in Kaakha Kaakha?

I take enough time to prepare myself for a role. Kaakha Kaakha was about a tough cop. It needed the right body language and appropriate expressions.I observed a few police officials not just in the cities but even in rural areas quite closely. I imbibed their mannerisms and body language for my role as Deputy Commissioner of Police in Kaakha Kaakha.

No comments: